b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] actual Hebrew question about Daniel 9:25
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:47:40 +0200

Peter Kirk asked:
I don't in fact know why no one seems to suggest that Nehemiah's Artaxerxes was also Artaxerxes II.

The reason is simple: Shemaiah and Delaiah, sons of Sanbalat, are mentioned in one the Elephantine papyri dated (independently) to 402/1, year 3 of Artaxerxes II. This would mean that Nehemiah, Snabalat's contemporary, would have had to have lived before that date. The only possibility is Artaxerxes I, whose 20th year was 445. So that the date of Nehemiah's arrival as governor of Yehud is "fixed" at 445. The question that remains is the arrival of Ezra and his relationship with Nehemiah.

Yigal Levin