b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:2 - And the earth was without form, and void
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:33:09 -0500

Dear Charles,

> HH: I think so. Why would we understand that light existed in verse 1
when God creates light in verse 3?

It is interesting to note in Isaiah 45:7 that God created (bara) darkness
and formed (asah) light. Thus giving grammatical support that light
pre-exixted darkness and was "formed" into that light which was good for
man.

HH: I happen to be reading a commentary on Isaiah 40-55 right now, and Isa 45:7 is evidently talking about light and darkness in terms of good and evil. It is not an historical statement so much as a providential one. The verbs are not perfects but participles. Although participles could refer to the original creation, that is probably not what they are doing in Isa 45:7, which reflects on the judgments God has brought on Israel and the blessings He is bringing.

HH: You must mean that darkness pre-existed light, but I don't think we have to assume that darkness was formed into light. First, I don't think Isa 45:7 has to refer to the original creation because darkness and light are symbolic of judgment and blessing elsewhere in Isaiah. The light in Genesis 1 could have been a new creation ("let there be light"), not necessarily something from pre-existing material.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard