b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] When God began to create...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] When God began to create...
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:51:35 +0100

Karl,
A discussion about whether the Enuma Elish has exerted any influence
upon the Genesis creation story will probably run out of control very
soon. At least, if we all fail to suppress our personal kerygmatic
convictions.
All I would like to ask is: imagine certain literary elements from
outside Israelite circles had inspired the authors of Tanach, would it
really be so horrific? I can't see why G"d would have given the art of
composing great stories, such as are there in Tanach, only to Moses,
or only to Israelites.
regards
herman