b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] When God began to create...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] When God began to create...
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:59:16 -0500

Dear Yizhak,

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

My point regarding Gen 2:6 is that Gen 2:6 seems to be describing an
event happening after 2:5. Namely, why does 2:5 go to a description of
how weeds and bushes did not yet grow, because God had not yet rained
upon the earth, when all this time there is an )d watering the earth? Why
does it matter then that it rained? So, 2:6 seems to happen *after* 2:5. If
that is so, why then is 2:6 to be regarded as part of the "parenthetical" and
not part of the "narration"?

Why didn't you say so in the first place? ;-) <just joking!>

Exactly when in this second account of creation plantlife sprouts is not clear. It is not mentioned until v. 9 (which I think is an unmarked backloop, but a backloop to exactly when is not clear). I don't think we can say that v. 6 is after 5. I think 5 describes the situation in negative terms, and v. 6 describes the same situation in positive terms.

I think just about all of the modern translations have it right.

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B. M. Rocine