b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] When God began to create...

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] When God began to create...
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:07:43 -0500

Karl Randolph wrote:

Genesis 2:4 is one of the poetic verses, with a mirror image poetry loosely built into it. Therefore, the second part doesn't split off to make a dependent clause.

Further, Genesis 2:4 is the summing up verse that closes the first chapter, it is not part of the second chapter at all.

Hi Karl,

I think you will find that the _'elleh toledot_ statements are at the beiginnings of their respective sections of Gen, not the ends.

It doesn't matter to me if you want to keep 2:4a together with 2:4b. 2:4b still grammatically depends on what follows, not what precedes.

IOW, the _'elleh toledot_ statement is more like a heading than an integral part of the narrative. The story really begins with 2:4b, and the plotline begins with 2:7.

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B. M. Rocine