b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:1-3, was: Alter's translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 1:1-3, was: Alter's translation
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 18:57:14 +0000

On 23/11/2005 17:57, Herman Meester wrote:

Don't you think by the way, the parallel with Gen 2,4-7 is remarkable?
It supports "my" understanding of Gen 1,1-3 very well.

Thank you, Herman. I am still unsure about this parallel, which is not perfect.

About LXX, it's true it's an old source, yet it's a translation made
in Egypt for a Greek audience. The translators and how good their
Hebrew was we may never know, and how much did they adjust the Hebrew
text to fit their theology?

I agree that LXX is not reliable. Jerome also understood the Hebrew in the same way as LXX.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)