b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Herman Meester <crazymulgogi AT gmail.com>
  • To: David Kummerow <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Zech 6:8
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:03:07 +0100

The same applies to the verbal tense categories that had been given to
the qatal and yiqtol "tenses": I wonder if people still use the term
"future" for the yiqtol, which is absurd. Unfortunately, Joüon-Muraoka
(a weird book by the way) uses the word, [although I wonder if Muraoka
actually believes Joüon on this point! I have attended Muraoka's
classes on Hebrew grammar in Leiden and I think he knows better than
that] and they say this book is widely used.
"Perfect/imperfect" is already a little better. Using these terms
started for Arabic by the way.
David, do you also think there are no adjectives in Hebrew? Just that
we cannot easily distinguish the form of adjectives from the form of
nouns, is it an argument? In English we say there are adjectives, yet
they usually don't have any morphological distinction from nouns
either. But I'm open for any fresh understanding of this.

You know? I think that a lot of people that have been studying Hebrew
have this weird tendency to write a grammar of Biblical Hebrew. I
think we have to suppress this tendency in ourselves. There are no
plenty of grammars around and they'll all have something we disagree
with. No wonder if they're grammars intended for the entire MT.

So dear people out there: STOP writing GRAMMARS!
;)

PS I was just thinking, let's call "wayyiqtol" the hebrew "Aorist" ;)
^^
Regards, Herman