b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite) II
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:05:28 +0000

On 17/11/2005 23:38, Karl Randolph wrote:

Peter:

The "core meaning" (which I think you introduced in this discussion) ...

I borrowed the term "core meaning" from Rolf because this was something we could agree on against you. But to me and I think to Rolf, the "core meaning" is does not necessarily correspond to the meaning of each individual occurrence. So finding some examples of non-eternal `olam (if there are any) would not demonstrate that the "core meaning" is not eternity.

... goes back to our discussions on whether or not lexemes have basically one meaning or many. As for me, I still maintain that lexemes have one basic meaning for each time period, but that they can change over time. Also we need to keep in mind complex lexemes (where two or more lexemes used consistently together can have its own meaning separate from each component lexeme) and idiomatic phrases.

That one meaning may have a broad semantic use, or narrow one, or may even be a total subset of another one, but that doesn't change the basic pattern.

This is the way people use language.

No it isn't, Karl. There are many English words which do not have a basic meaning in this sense. Think of "get" or "run", which by no means always mean anything like the possible "core meanings" "obtain" and "move fast with one's legs" respectively.

Translators often find that the semantic range of one lexeme in an originating language may overlap two or more semantic ranges in a receiving language, hence an accurate translation can use two or more lexemes to render the meaning of the originating language. But that's a problem of translation, not language use.

I agree with you here, but it isn't a problem for me but a normal matter of translation. The only problem is that Rolf and others like him do not recognise that this is a problem.

Likewise, I think your view of (WLM is too narrow.

Maybe, but what is your evidence for that?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)