b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Eccl 1:4 was Re: Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peter AT qaya.org>
  • To: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Eccl 1:4 was Re: Daniel 6:27 (time indefinite)
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 13:35:46 +0000

On 15/11/2005 12:13, Rolf Furuli wrote:

And here is the dilemma for Bible translators: How much interpretative
material should they include in the translation? Modern Bible translations
include huge amonuts of the biases and theology of the translators, because
they think it is their duty to do the interpretation in behalf of the readers.
This leaves the readers at the mercy of the translators, and I often am
tempted to say: "Poor readers!" Because of this, it is my view that even
those making an idiomatic translation should strive to be as neutral as
possible to the text. ...

I agree. But I also say "Poor readers!" of those who expect a translation to be understandable in their own language, and find something which is only a semi-translation using English etc lexical items but the syntax and semantics of Hebrew which they don't understand.

Regarding Eccl. 1:4, it is my view that "time indefinite" is a neutral
rendering, ...

Yes, it is neutral in the same way as "bhjiklnjkl" is neutral, because they are both meaningless.

... since the readers must decide whether this refers to eternality
or to a limited time, while "for ever" is interpretative, and the readers
cannot do anything but accept the views of the translator.

I disagree that "for ever" is interpretive, it seems to me that this is the clear and correct meaning of the lexical item, in this context, and, as far as I can tell so far in the absence of any convincing evidence on this list, in every context. Why do you reject the clear meaning of the text here? Is it because you are incorporating into the text "the biases and theology of the translators", which may tell you that the earth does not actually last for ever?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)