b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex3:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernathy AT isot.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex3:14
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:08:26 +0100

Thank you.

You can equally observe that in the same passage yah's name is intrinsically
linked to
the expression 'the first and the last'. There is no doubt that this phrase
is referring
to the fact that Yah is eternal both in terms of past and future. Before him
there was
nothing/noone and there will be no successor to him as he will never die.

The major problem with the translation of ehyeh asher ehyeh is the common
supposition that
one word should be translated with one word. And thus the debate has become
'I am who I am'
vs' 'I will be what I will be'. However, the translators of the LXX evidently
did not feel
so bound to such one to one translation techniques. They tried to capture the
essence of
the phrase by translating as EYO EIMI HO WN = I'm eternal/immortal.

Interestingly exo 3:16 continues 'You go, and you must gather the older men
of Israel, and you must say to them, ‘Jehovah the God of YOUR forefathers has
appeared to me'(NWT) and so it is quite
possible that Yah described himself and then ordered Moshe to go and say that
his name
was YHWHand not EHYEH ASHER EHYEH.