b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex3:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex3:14
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:18:35 +0100

On 12/09/2005 07:19, Vadim Cherny wrote:

We discussed this issue with issue a short while ago, and I proved
decisively that Hebrew uses tenses absolutely correctly, in standard sense,
but allows, like Russian, deictic centre shifts. The theory of tenseless
Hebrew makes sense only for people who believe that all world uses tenses as
English and German speakers.

Vadim, whatever you may consider you have proved, in the light of recent discussions, you can only claimed to have "proved decisively" if your results have been published in a peer reviewed academic journal and gained wide acceptance. And for that to happen you would have to go into several linguistic issues in considerably more depth than you have done on this list. Otherwise I think the best that you can claim is to have an alternative hypothesis or theory.

Besides, as I also noted, how many yiqtols elsewhere are translated with
present continuous?

Quite a lot. Rolf probably has figures for this. But you will find that only a small proportion of YIQTOLs in the Hebrew Bible are translated as non-modal futures.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)