b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex3:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Matanya Ophee <m.ophee AT orphee.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex3:14
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:42:40 -0400

At 11:31 AM 9/13/2005, Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru> wrote:

> Response: Well, don't you think that a translation should make sense?
Even though I understand your point of grammar, I don't think one can do
proper translation without context.

One could twist the grammar only if standard reading is meaningless, not if
he doesn't like the meaning. Translating from context means understanding
the context, actually - interpreting the context. Thus certain translators
slip into exegesis.

Except that many interpretations are only based on the textual context involved, and not on the cultural context of the people who wrote this text in the first place, and the audience for which it was written, 12 tribes of mostly nomadic shepherds with rudimentary agriculture and city life, busy fighting each other and their immediate neighbors.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.
Columbus, OH 43235-1226