b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 33, Issue 16

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 33, Issue 16
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:40:42 -0500

Dear Bill,

>>If my memory serves me correctly (I don't have a Hebrew text at
work) another is Gen 16:2 where Sarah is wanting a son through Hagar,
yet the text does not explicitly say so. That meaning comes from
understanding the word play, which I recall as depending on a single
word. In one sense it means to be built up, but it also means Sarai
>>wants a son through Hagar.

>HH: Why do you think the text does not say so? It seems perfectly
explicit.

I checked three tranlation-commentaries last night. These are their
respective comments:-

Speiser, Comment: ``...it is an obvious word play on ben `son' alluding to
`I shall have a son'...''

Plaut, Translation: ``...perhaps I shall have a son through her.''
Comment: ``Have a son. Literally `be built up', a word play on
ben, son and banah, build up''

Alter, Comment: ``The Hebrew 'ibaneh puns on ben `son' and so means "I
will be sonned through her".''

Their colective opinion is that we learn of Sarai's specific desire
for a son, not merely for a child of either sex, by understanding the pun.
I'm not saying this is obscure, Plaut thinks it is so clear he puts the
punned meaning in his translation rather than relegating it to a comment
as do Speiser and Alter.

I think this is a good example because both meanings are so clear.
If we took 'ibaneh out of context and asked what it means we could say
its first person, refers to the future, and means I will be built up.
However, in context, it has a clear second meaning by virtue of it
sounding similar to ben, son.

The writer had a choice of several words which are more directly
related to childbearing that he could have picked from. It seems
clear to me that he chose 'ibaneh over the other options because
of its ability to carry a double meaning in this context.

I'm open to suggestions of other verses which you think would
be better examples.

HH: Thanks for the scholarship, Bill, but I am not particularly impressed this supposed pun. Sarah's words had a plain meaning used elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible. We all know that the ancient Jewish view was that it was especially good to have a son. This notion is present numerous times in the Bible. There is no need to claim an ambiguous pun to obtain that idea. But BNH was used of building a family in a number of verses. Here is part of the HAL entry on BNH:

human beings are built = live on (in their children) (MHb.2 nif., JArm.tg itpe., ˜ qal 6) Jr 12:16; 31:4; Mal 3:15; with min a woman obtains a child by Gn 16:2; 30:3.

HH: It would be good to ask these authors whether it is a pun in Gen 30:3 as well. That is another woman. Perhaps this family just loved this pun. It seems that this may be a shorter form of the following expression as indicated in HAL:

BNH BYT L to build a family for, to provide someone with offspring Dt 25:9; to let a person (a nation) live on in his children (said of God; cf. VT 12:345, :: hrs) Jr 24:6; 31:4; 33:7; 42:10; Ps 28:5 (˜ Bach Fschr. vRad 7ff); ˜ n.m. (u®)b‰§naya¦h, n.loc. yab‰n§}e¦l

Yours,
Harold Holmyard