b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex3:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: <kgraham0938 AT comcast.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex3:14
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 18:31:29 +0300

> @Vadim: You wrote
> Whether a translation asnwers a particular question is irrelevant, though
> one can prefer "I am" to "I will be" only on theological grounds. What is
> relevant, is grammatical correctness. I showed few weeks ago on this list
> that a theory of tenseless Hebrew is absurd, and Hebrew use of tenses is
> perfectly consistent. Grammatically, the meaning is "I will be."
>
> Vadim Cherny
>
> Response: Well, don't you think that a translation should make sense?
Even though I understand your point of grammar, I don't think one can do
proper translation without context.

One could twist the grammar only if standard reading is meaningless, not if
he doesn't like the meaning. Translating from context means understanding
the context, actually - interpreting the context. Thus certain translators
slip into exegesis.

Vadim Cherny