b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex3:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kgraham0938 AT comcast.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex3:14
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 03:05:56 +0000

@ Vadim

I understand what you are saying, however, I don't think "I will be who I
will be" answers Moses' question.

Moses ask "What is your name?" paraphrase.

YHWH answers " I will be who I will be."

That does not make sense. That is why I think I am who I am is the best
translation.

--
Kelton Graham
KGRAHAM0938 AT comcast.net

> > @Vadim: You wrote
> > Whether a translation asnwers a particular question is irrelevant, though
> > one can prefer "I am" to "I will be" only on theological grounds. What is
> > relevant, is grammatical correctness. I showed few weeks ago on this list
> > that a theory of tenseless Hebrew is absurd, and Hebrew use of tenses is
> > perfectly consistent. Grammatically, the meaning is "I will be."
> >
> > Vadim Cherny
> >
> > Response: Well, don't you think that a translation should make sense?
> Even though I understand your point of grammar, I don't think one can do
> proper translation without context.
> >

> One could twist the grammar only if standard reading is meaningless, not if
> he doesn't like the meaning. Translating from context means understanding
> the context, actually - interpreting the context. Thus certain translators
> slip into exegesis.
>
> Vadim Cherny
>
>From yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com Wed Sep 14 05:56:01 2005

h=received:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references;

b=blBuuNlnmafl84dZ3xbh6AO7rbuTNOotf8M8ivElmJeOUF23tRbCjv7EXyuFd2bGbMHnQybvSNaPq9L+t/4tt7HBeEOLAHPbnEnSQ/OlKTbN3ySWIzQdG0azLgkJRBBI5za4bXtA6n2Ql59oTwGnVaqcJHXSEmne5OzUqRWls7s=