b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ex3:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Vadim Cherny <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ex3:14
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:18:15 +0100

On 11/09/2005 18:35, Vadim Cherny wrote:

- If Ex3:14 contains the name, it could only be "I will be that I will be," a
theologically odd notion that God is not currently present. The translation "I am that I
am" hinges on the wrong theory that Hebrew lacks tenses. Even in that theory, reading
grammatical future tense as present tense is extremely unusual.

Indeed it would be unusual to read anything as future tense if Hebrew has no tenses! But you misunderstand the theory. On that theory the YIQTOL form used here is not in any sense a future tense, but a timeless continuous verb form.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)