b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Divine Embodiment - Peter Kirk

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Divine Embodiment - Peter Kirk
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 15:09:00 -0500

Hey Peter:

Here I think you overstate your case. And
don't lump me together with Kevin as here I
am arguing the same side as you.

While I'm consistent in claiming that each
word within its linguistic semantic domain
has one meaning, that may need two or more
words to be translated in that the target
language has no term with exactly the same
semantic domain, this does not mean that
complex lexemes (where two or more lexemes
combine to create a third meaning) or
idiomatic phrases don't exist. In fact, I
believe that recognizing that each lexeme
has basically one meaning makes it easier to
recognize complex lexemes and idioms, as
well as metaphorical statements.

Karl W. Randolph.