b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Divine Embodiment - Peter Kirk

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Divine Embodiment - Peter Kirk
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 16:56:45 -0500

Dear Kevin,

HH: Have you checked 1 Kings 6:23-28? There is no
description of a throne 10 cubits by 10 cubits.
The 10 cubits describes an image of a cherub and
its wing span.

Right, which tells us everything we need to know about the throne. You do realize, of course, that the cherubim were understood as part of the throne, having one on each end?

HH: There is no mention of a throne in the passage. They are self-standing cherubim that span the width of the room in which they stand.

"Make one cherub at one end and one cherub at the other end...There I will meet with you; and from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubim which are upon the ark of the testimony, I will speak to you about all that I will give you in commandment for the sons of Israel." (Ex 25:19,22)

HH: But this passage is talking about the cherubim for the mercyseat in the tabernacle. The dimensions of the mercyseat of the tabernacle were small, as Peter has already said.

"The LORD Almighty, who is enthroned between the cherubim."(I Samuel 4:4)

There are more if you need them.

HH: But there is no giant throne anywhere. There are two large self-standing cherubim in the temple. The cherubim for the tabernacle were small according to all models I have seen. And Solomon evidently put the ancient ark into the temple:

1Kings 6:19 ¶ He prepared the inner sanctuary within the temple to set the ark of the covenant of the LORD there.

HH: So all you are talking about is two large decorative cherubim that point to the throne of God in heaven.

HH: There are passages about the Lord being enthroned in Zion:

Psa. 9:11 Sing praises to the LORD, enthroned in Zion; proclaim among the nations what he has done.

HH: But it is understood that the temple is symbolic of heaven. The physical dimensions of the cherubim and ark do not have any automatic signification.

HH: It is interesting, however, that Isaiah in his vision sees the train of the Lord's robe filling the temple.

Is. 6:1 ¶ In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple.

HH; Since the Lord fills heaven and earth, one would expect that a vision of Him would be imposing.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard