b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Divine Embodiment - Peter Kirk

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Divine Embodiment - Peter Kirk
  • Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:14:25 -0500

Kevin:

First of all, there are those who claim that
your reading that posits physical attributes
to the deity is reading the text through the
eyes of Hellenistic philosophy, not Hebraic
thought. And don't forget that even as the
LXX translated Tanakh to Greek, they too
were influenced by Hellenism, even if only
not to mention some of the anthropomorphisms
to avoid arguing with Hellenists.

It was openly stated that what is usually
called "Biblical cosmology" really is
medieval cosmology which was formed by
looking at Biblical passages through
Hellenistic eyes. Your attribution of
physical attributes to God follows the
Hellenistic pattern. Some of the signs of
Hellenistic reading are to read idiomatic
phrases as describing literal form, and to
emphasize form over function where Tanakh
emphasized function over form. Thus when
Genesis 1:26-7 mentions that man was made
"in the image of God", Hellenists look for
physical attributes, while ancient Hebrews
looked for functional actions, how man acts
like God while fulfilling his role as God's
representative as a created being in charge
of the created universe.