b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Divine Embodiment - Peter Kirk

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Kevin Graham <kevlds AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Divine Embodiment - Peter Kirk
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 20:19:22 +0100

On 08/09/2005 19:21, Kevin Graham wrote:

Right, which tells us everything we need to know about the throne. You do realize, of course, that the cherubim were understood as part of the throne, having one on each end?

"were understood" by who?

"Make one cherub at one end and one cherub at the other end...There I will meet with you; and from above the mercy seat, ...

Note that the rendering "mercy seat" is highly interpretational. The Hebrew word KAPPORET does not mean "seat", but more probably "lid" which is what it was, and its relevance to "mercy" is uncertain.

... from between the two cherubim which are upon the ark of the testimony, I will speak to you about all that I will give you in commandment for the sons of Israel." (Ex 25:19,22)

"The LORD Almighty, who is enthroned between the cherubim."(I Samuel 4:4)

Where does "between" come from? Or "enthroned" for that matter? The Hebrew is YO$EB HAKKERUBIM, which probably means "sitting ON the cherubim", or maybe "dwelling with the cherubim".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)