b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Divine Embodiment - Peter Kirk

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Divine Embodiment - Peter Kirk
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:00:48 +0100

On 08/09/2005 21:09, Karl Randolph wrote:

Hey Peter:

Here I think you overstate your case. And don't lump me together with Kevin as here I am arguing the same side as you.

I know, Karl. My point is that assuming just one meaning for any word can lead people astray in many different directions.

While I'm consistent in claiming that each word within its linguistic semantic domain has one meaning, that may need two or more words to be translated in that the target language has no term with exactly the same semantic domain, this does not mean that complex lexemes (where two or more lexemes combine to create a third meaning) or idiomatic phrases don't exist. In fact, I believe that recognizing that each lexeme has basically one meaning makes it easier to recognize complex lexemes and idioms, as well as metaphorical statements.

Well, at least you don't make Kevin's mistake of rejecting metaphorically extended senses of a word, or trying to argue that a word must be used in its literal meaning unless a metaphorical sense is proved.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)