b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 v. Gen18:1-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 v. Gen18:1-3
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:26:28 +0100

On 16/08/2005 01:17, Dave Washburn wrote:

... Of course there are cases of whole
Bible books starting with WAYYIQTOL, but that may imply that, within an
editorial framework, they were intended to be sequential to the previous
book, as is surely intended with Leviticus (WAYYIQRA'...) and Numbers
(WAYDABBER...).

Nice try, but even the grammars that present this "standard" view don't reach that far. ...

Well, you can't get me by an appeal to the very authorities which you have rejected. This one is not my idea, I understand that Nicacci has written a paper proposing this kind of link between biblical books, and so also has my friend Noah Lee:

Lee, S. Noah. 2003. "Cohesion in the books of the Hebrew Bible and its interpretation." Journal of Translation and Textlinguistics 15: 1-26.

(see http://www.sil.org/translation/JOTTIndx.htm)

... As for books starting with one, I have yet to see an adequate explanation of Jonah 1:1.

Agreed. I think Lee suggests that Jonah is linked by the WAYYIQTOL to Obadiah - although this would not be sequential as the last (and only) main verb in Obadiah is the X-QATAL in v.1 (the rest is reported speech, plus a subordinate clause in v.18). But the start of Jonah just might be a case of "bad grammar".

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)