b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 v. Gen18:1-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 v. Gen18:1-3
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 23:00:48 +0200

I would go even more slowly. When Abraham first sees the three "men", he
does not know that they are "angels". The addresses them "Adonai" - "sirs" -
not YHWH. He then offers them food, all the while continuing to address them
in the plural. It's only in verse 10 that they speak to Abraham in YHWH's
name.

Yigal