b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen18:1-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen18:1-3
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:32:01 +0100

On 14/08/2005 22:32, Read, James C wrote:

Peter wrote:
although plural in form, just like Elohim. But when referring to humans,
adonay is plural "my masters", whereas adoni is singular "my master".
This is quite regular: -i is the basic 1st person singular possessive
suffix, but when added to a plural which would otherwise by -im,
construct -ey, the suffixes contract together resulting in -ay.
END QUOTE

JCR: Yes!Ican see your point. However, the text clearly uses the tetragramatton here and it is clear that
Abram called the messengers YHWH and this pattern of subtituting messengers for yhwh and vice versa is
recurrent in the torah. Seeing as the text clearly adresses them as YHWH it seems pointless to argue that
Abram was adressing them as sirs.

James, you need to distinguish here between the perspective of Abraham and that of the narrator. It is the narrator who uses the name YHWH, in verses 1 and 13, and then YHWH himself speaks the name in vv. 14,19. But nowhere in this chapter (according to BHS) does Abraham speak the name YHWH, he always says Adonay (vv.3,27,30,31,32) (and interestingly Sarah calls Abraham Adoni, v.12). But I do note some textual differences: some MSS have YHWH in vv.27,31.

The interesting point is when Adonay is a divine title, and when it means "my lords", referring to the three messengers. But I am sure there is some deliberate ambiguity, as part of the literary art here.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)