b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 v. Gen18:1-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 v. Gen18:1-3
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:24:19 +0100

On 15/08/2005 14:09, Read, James C wrote:

JCR: I'm sorry, but this is not a satisfactory answer. This is a total
refusal to consider the
evidence and a stout sidestep away from it.
Name me one living language that behaves 100% uniform with no exceptions and then I will be able to give more credence to what you have just said. ...

Why do you expect Yitzhak to do this? It is quite clear that he agrees with you that every language has exceptions, and so that "starting an analysis off of exceptions is methodologically problematic" because the reasons for these exceptions are unclear. Nevertheless, the observation that all rules have exceptions does not imply that there are no rules; on the contrary, "the exception proves the rule".

... Also stating that your point of view is backed up by linguists doesn't help because it is usually a subconscious admission that one is not capable of proving his standpoint. ...

It is not a subconscious anything, but a very explicit acceptance that Yitzhak is not personally attempting to prove anything, but is only passing on what the majority of scholars have said. For he wrote: "I am not a linguist and am not qualified to pass judgement on your theory." Are you better qualified than he is to pass judgment on what is still the majority view of scholars?

... We have only touched the iceberg of examples that break down this rigid view of subjects and sequential action and many more examples could be given.

Indeed. A few years ago we had a long discussion of examples of sequential and non-sequential WAYYIQTOL. Do you really want to start to melt this iceberg?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)