b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 v. Gen18:1-3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • To: "Yitzhak Sapir" <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2Sam24:1 v. Gen18:1-3
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:09:35 +0100

Yitzhak wrote:
I skimmed it. I am not a linguist and am not qualified to pass judgement on
your theory. But it appears to me that you attempt to build a case
out of three
exceptions. One of them, is a problematic case in its own right, apparently
being duplicated in the MT, which you try to explain away. We have to
remember that Biblical Hebrew is not uniform, and contains many editorial
modifications. It is not a pure document that can be analyzed using the same
tools in linguistics, because it may contain imports from other languages
(Phoenician? Israelite?) and different times. While linguistic analysis can
be
used to analyze the majority of cases, you can never be sure if an exception
is the result of an odd use of the language, different semantics of
the language,
or simply the result of editorial activity. So I perceive that
starting an analysis
off of exceptions is methodologically problematic, as it makes certain
assumptions about the text such as that the text is written in uniform
language,
of the same time, by the same hand, and does not contain editorial activity
such as a conflation of multiple accounts.
END QUOTE

JCR: I'm sorry, but this is not a satisfactory answer. This is a total
refusal to consider the
evidence and a stout sidestep away from it.
Name me one living language that behaves 100% uniform with no exceptions and
then I will be able
to give more credence to what you have just said. Also stating that your
point of view is backed up
by linguists doesn't help because it is usually a subconscious admission that
one is not capable
of proving his standpoint. We have only touched the iceberg of examples that
break down this rigid
view of subjects and sequential action and many more examples could be given.

Security System.