b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT- perspective (was Josiah's book of the Law)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT- perspective (was Josiah's book of the Law)
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 21:36:44 -0500

Dear Jim West:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>

> On 05/08/2005 00:08, Jim West wrote:
>

> > Peter Kirk wrote:

> >> What evidence do you have for this unqualified assertion? I note
> >> that in a later posting you qaulified it with "in my
> >> estimation". But why didn't you write that the first time?
> >

> > Well one can generally presume that anytime anyone writes
> > anything they are expressing their views. I presume, for
> > instance, that what you write is what you think. ...
>

> No, Jim, if I write that something happened, without qualification, I
> mean not just that it is my view or opinion that it happened, but that I
> know that it happened, beyond reasonable doubt. You cannot know, beyond
> reasonable doubt, that the DtrH (whatever that might be) was written
> after the exile, because there is insufficient evidence. But I would let
> this pass if you could provide some good evidence that this actually
> happened.

Jim: I concur with Peter on his assessment of language use.
In fact, this was at the heart of my recent tiff with Dora
Smith and Yitzhak, that they wrote as if what they wrote
was an established fact, instead of a sectarian doctrine or
personal opinion that their expressions really represent.
People who start with different beliefs come to completely
different conclusions when examining the same data. For
example, because I start with a theological position that
states that the Bible was written at the times it claims it
was (not all books are date stamped, including many of the
"historical" books in Tanakh), I see a completely different
pattern of language development than you do.

Here you are asking of archeology what archeology can't do;
compounded with a failure to read the text carefully at
times.

First, the material effects that survive the decay of time
are often so fragmentory that they can give only a partial
picture of ancient events, at best. Often surviving
fragments completely miss important events. Then there is
the factor of the interpreter, did he correctly understand
those fragments that he found?

Secondly, have you not noticed, especially in the ANE, that
the most important finds almost always involve the discovery
of documents? But even here we have only a tiny fraction of
those written. Those peoples who used writing materials that
do not survive the vicissitudes of time have their most
important artifacts missing in the archeological record.

Finally, many times I have noticed a failure to read the
text critically. Rather I see modern expectations often
read back into the text. Often what the text doesn't say is
as important as what it does say. When one carefully reads
the text, modern expectations sometimes are not supported.
Strip away these modern expectations, and some of the
apparent contradictions between archeology and the text are
resolved.

> --
> Peter Kirk
> peter AT qaya.org (personal)