b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT- perspective (was Josiah's book of the Law)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brian Roberts <formoria AT carolina.rr.com>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT- perspective (was Josiah's book of the Law)
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 15:58:02 -0400

On Thursday, August 4, 2005, at 03:50 PM, Jim West wrote:

The DtrH does not find its genesis (thats a funny yet ironic phrase) in the period of Josiah. It was written after the exile. And probably during the Hasmonean period.

And which authorial strands do you believe to have been written in the Hasmonean period? Yahwist? Deuteronomist? Elowist? Priestly?

But you are right- there is scant archaeological evidence for anything in the Hebrew Bible.

Jim, you misrepresent me here. I never made that statement. And it's certainly not true. I can trudge out refutations if you like, but that would be beyond the scope of the thread. Perhaps something offlist if you need to be brought up to speed on the archaeological discoveries.

Brian Roberts wrote:

I realize it's an off-topic aside, but isn't interesting, to say the least, that the predominant model for biblical criticism (DH) finds its genesis in the period of Josiah, a period for which there is no more archaeological evidence for a temple than there is in the period of Solomon. And yet, so much rests on it, as if it were a strong foundation.

Best Salaams,

R. Brian Roberts
Amateur Researcher in Biblical Archaeology