b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT- perspective (was Josiah's book of the Law)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Brian Roberts <formoria AT carolina.rr.com>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT- perspective (was Josiah's book of the Law)
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:18:19 -0400

Brian Roberts wrote:

The DtrH does not find its genesis (thats a funny yet ironic phrase) in the period of Josiah. It was written after the exile. And probably during the Hasmonean period.

And which authorial strands do you believe to have been written in the Hasmonean period? Yahwist? Deuteronomist? Elowist? Priestly?

There are no authorial strands aside from the compsite work we call the DtrH. The Documentary Hypothesis has been set aside in recent historical / methodological investigations. And yes, the DtrH in the form we have it at present (unless theres another form in some scroll as yet undiscovered) was composed, in my estimation, in the Hasmonean period.

But you are right- there is scant archaeological evidence for anything in the Hebrew Bible.

Jim, you misrepresent me here. I never made that statement. And it's certainly not true. I can trudge out refutations if you like, but that would be beyond the scope of the thread. Perhaps something offlist if you need to be brought up to speed on the archaeological discoveries.

Up to speed? You honor me by wishing to improve my training- yet I don't think it necessary. I urge you though, to list 5 artifacts definitively and irrefutably dating from Iron II.

--
D. Jim West