b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT- perspective (was Josiah's book of the Law)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT- perspective (was Josiah's book of the Law)
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:18:34 +0100

On 05/08/2005 01:05, Jim West wrote:

Peter Kirk wrote:

No, Jim, if I write that something happened, without qualification, I mean not just that it is my view or opinion that it happened, but that I know that it happened, beyond reasonable doubt. You cannot know, beyond reasonable doubt, that the DtrH (whatever that might be) was written after the exile, because there is insufficient evidence. But I would let this pass if you could provide some good evidence that this actually happened.

Alas- if that's so- then you too are victim of the same inability to suggest that archaeology proves the Bible right, no? Or is there another standard by which you determine things?

I don't understand a word of this.

And what do Cyrus and Nebuchadnezzer do to prove the Bible's account of Israel's history? ...

They are part of the Bible's account of Israel's history. They are themselves something in the Hebrew Bible. And this confirmation of the general accuracy of part of this history tends to suggest the reliability of more of it.

No they are not. They are proof only that the biblical authors knew their names. That's all. Nothing more.

No. The biblical authors say a lot more about these kings, and several other archaeologically attested Assyrian, Babylonian and Persian kings, not to mention the Moabite Mesha` and various others, than just their names. In the Bible there is quite a lot of archaeologically confirmed information about their territories, their careers, their military campaigns etc etc.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)