b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 13:40:28 +0100

On 23/07/2005 07:06, Dave Washburn wrote:

On Friday 22 July 2005 18:57, Peter Kirk wrote:

On 22/07/2005 19:22, Harold R. Holmyard III wrote:

... The Aramaic behind Matthew is
êlî êlî lmâ ”vaqtanî. Whereas Mark has elohî
elohî.

The former is Aramaic, but the latter is surely Hebrew. The Aramaic, if
not êlî, might be elahî, but not elohî.
[snip]

Not necessarily. ... It is also likely, as I have said before, that Jesus' words were rather slurred, considering his physical condition by the time he reached this point. ...

Fair enough, Jesus could have said something rather slurred which can be understood as either Aramaic or Hebrew. The position I object to is the one which claimes that ELWI is Aramaic but not Hebrew. Perhaps it could be either, but it certainly could be Hebrew.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)