b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:55:43 +0100

On 22/07/2005 18:45, Jim West wrote:

... If some early Christians believed in magic (and some clearly did!)... and prayer is the most "magical" of all vocalizations.

I know this is well off topic, but I can't allow this attack on the Christian faith to pass without comment. Christian prayer is not magic. The early Christians clearly distanced themselves from magic, as is clear in Acts 8 and 19. The two have nothing in common. Christians, along with most other religious believers, believed and still believe that (at least in some circumstances) a personal God acts when asked to in prayer. That is quite different from magic which is a belief in some kind of impersonal supernatural force.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)