b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:27:00 +0100

On 22/07/2005 17:10, Yigal Levin wrote:

Okay, then, assuming that Mark records the tradition faithfully, the
question is whether Jesus would have been using Aramaic or Hebrew, and
whether the form ABBA at that time would have been more formal or less. Or,
on the other hand, what Mark intended by putting the word Abba in Jesus'
mouth. I really don't think that we have enough information to go on.

Well, there are several apparently Aramaic words recorded in transliteration in Mark's gospel, e.g. TALIQA in 5:41 and SABACQANI in 15:34 (Q = theta, C = chi), and an apparently Hebrew one, ELWI = Elohi in 15:34 (W = omega). Translations into Greek are given for all of them, just as for "Abba". One interpretation is that Jesus was always speaking Aramaic. Another is that Jesus was normally speaking Hebrew which was translated into Greek, and the few Aramaic words preserved are preserved to show their distinctively Aramaic nature.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)