b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Martin Shields <enkidu AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:20:44 +1000

ISTM that the only information available is what is written in the text: that Jesus said "Abba" and that the author of the gospel felt that ho pater was the appropriate Greek translation for the term. Given that the Greek is relatively formal and that there were "informal" alternatives, it seems reasonable to infer that "Abba" was used more formally than informally, and thus that "dad" or even "daddy" are not appropriate English translations of the term.

Thanks to Vince Medina, however, for pointing out Barr's article. I will endeavour to read it.

As for the Hebrew/Aramaic issue, my immediate impression is that the Greek Abba (αββα) would represent Aramaic אבא. What Hebrew could Abba represent?

Martin Shields,
Sydney, Australia.