b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] yhwh pronunciation
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 13:44:12 +0100

On 23/07/2005 12:25, B. M. Rocine wrote:

Hi Peter,

The Mesha stele, in line 18, has the Tetragrammaton (all four letters). Did Rolf respond to your request below? I didn't see a response.

Thank you, Bryan. No, I haven't had another reply to this. But does the Mesha stele use other final he matres lectionis? If so, this is no indication that the final he was not a mater lectionis. If not, it is in fact quite powerful evidence against the standard understanding of YHWH as derived from the root HWH, as in forms of such "lamed-he" verbs the final he is always a mater lectionis.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)