b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Martin Shields <enkidu AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: "Read, James C" <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:44:17 +1000

On 23/07/2005, at 10:34 AM, Read, James C wrote:

But is also clear that it was normal to address your parent as 'pater'.

Is this clear?

To establish this I think we'd need examples of quoted direct speech by Greek speakers of the period who were referring to their fathers. Outside direct speech, the terminology would be dictated by genre and other considerations, factors which would complicate the analysis.

So this raises the question: are there examples of quoted direct speech indicating that ho pater (note the article!) was normative? How do these compare to texts where, for example, pappas appears?

Regards,

Martin Shields,
Sydney, Australia.