b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Shai Heijmans <shaih AT post.tau.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:58:22 +0100

On 27/07/2005 14:22, Shai Heijmans wrote:

Peter,

Thank you, Shai. But are these from pointed texts, or
transcriptions in languages which have vowels, or are the vowels reconstructed by the editors?

The text of the talmud is on the whole unvocalised; the forms I
mentioned appear as ryglwy, qwmwy, etc.
The vowels were added by me (although on basis of the sporadically
vocalised forms in the Geniza manuscripts); of course, I should have
mentioned that. Sorry.

Thank you. But I accept that the final -WY strongly suggests -oy or possibly -uy.

I continue to hold that Greek -WI is highly unlikely to represent a final diphthong -oy, but much more probably two separate syllables -o-i or perhaps o-ay.

A triphthong oay! I didn't think of that. This is very interesting.

Well, not strictly a triphthong, but two separate syllables, separated by he in the Hebrew (or Aramaic) original. I note that Greek WI (omega-iota), unlike OI, cannot be a diphthong, but should be pronounced as two separate syllables.

But if you take ELWI as hebrew, how do you expalin "shebaqtani"?

I agree that this is Aramaic. That does not necessarily imply that the whole utterance is.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)