b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Read James C <K0434995 AT kingston.ac.uk>, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:32:12 -0400

Read James C wrote:

I think it is possible to find books which support just
about every thought in the world conceivable. But it is clear
from the ancient writings what their opinions were on these
things, whether a person accepts them as authentic or not.
Putting magic overtones on the declaration which was clearly
directed to the El $aDai of the hebrew bible is ludicrous at
best and can only be entertained by lovers of controversy.

That is certainly true. Even the position which suggests that the red letter bible contains the very words, in king james english, that jesus spoke. Further, that Acts has to say that christians (!) took their magical books and burned them means at least two things- 1) there were christians who HAD magic books and used them, and 2) they were led to a better understanding of prayer then they previously held (which means that previously they held that prayer and magic were interrelated). Acts itself proves my contention.

Jim

--
D. Jim West