b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Shai Heijmans" <shaih AT post.tau.ac.il>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:46:42 +0200

Hi Peter,

> Well, I accept that Greenspahn knows his Aramaic. But does he actually

> explain how ELWI can be Aramaic? I suppose the Aramaic form could be
> ELAY and this just might have been pronounced something like ELOY. But

> this is the kind of argument I was expecting from you, rather than
> citing endless authorities who simply copy from one another. And is
the
> long A in ELAY became omega, why are none of the other long A's in
this
> verse transcribed as omega?

I agree with you ELWI could be taken both as hebrew and aramaic. But I
would like to note, that in Galilean Aramaic the suffix -oy is sometimes
used alongside -ay as 1.p.s. possessive suffix. I encountered this
phenomenon when writing my MA thesis ("morphology of the aramaic in the
palestinian talmud according to geniza fragments"). This might offer an
explanation for this peculiar form.

Best,

Shai Heijmans
Tel Aviv University