b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Shai Heijmans <shaih AT post.tau.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:55:56 +0100

On 26/07/2005 03:26, Shai Heijmans wrote:

Hi Dave and Peter,

Here are a few examples: "ana men yomoy la [kawwanet]", literally: "I,
in *my* days, did not intend" (= I did never intend), Taylor-Schecter
F17.6, the fragment was published in Ginzburg's "Sridei Hayerushalmi",
page 10 line 2; "wela etkena men qomoy" = "he did not bend down before
*me*", Kilayim (Leiden ms.), chapter 9, fol. 32b; "regloy" = "my feet",
Ketubbot chapter 12, fol. 64b, "enoy" = "my eyes", ibid., fol. 66a.

Thank you, Shai. But are these from pointed texts, or transcriptions in languages which have vowels, or are the vowels reconstructed by the editors?

It is interesting that in at least three of these four examples the suffixed noun is plural: days, feet, eyes. So it seems that this -oy ending is the combination of a noun plural and a first person singular possessive suffix, cf. -ay in Hebrew. But of course the Aramaic word for God is not plural, so this -oy suffix would not apply. The Hebrew word is usually plural, so the suffix would be -ay - or simply -iy if the underlying word is the singular Eloah.

I continue to hold that Greek -WI is highly unlikely to represent a final diphthong -oy, but much more probably two separate syllables -o-i or perhaps o-ay.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)