b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aramaic - Abba
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:59:51 -0500

Dear Peter

Well, there are several apparently Aramaic words recorded in
transliteration in Mark's gospel, e.g. TALIQA in 5:41 and SABACQANI in
15:34 (Q = theta, C = chi), and an apparently Hebrew one, ELWI = Elohi
in 15:34 (W = omega). Translations into Greek are given for all of them,
just as for "Abba". One interpretation is that Jesus was always speaking
Aramaic. Another is that Jesus was normally speaking Hebrew which was
translated into Greek, and the few Aramaic words preserved are preserved
to show their distinctively Aramaic nature.

HH: Here is a note on the NAB Bible that also takes Mark 15:34 as Aramaic in the quote from Psalm 22:
http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/mark/mark15.htm#foot14

Mark 15:34: And at three o'clock Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?" 14 which is translated, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

14 [34] An Aramaic rendering of Psalm 22:2. See also the note on Matthew
27:46.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard