b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why Semitic languages had no written vowels?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why Semitic languages had no written vowels?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 14:24:09 -0500

That's right. I carefully hand-copied and scanned the Egyptian hieroglyphs
concerning the Shasu of Yahweh. By the middle dynasty, Egyptian writing
was a mixture of syllabic and phonetic. Only a few particularly common
words were signified with single hieroglyphs. The word Shasu is spelled
several ways with a number of combinations and permutations of letters.
One form uses a particular symbol for "SHA", and another uses the same
symbol for "SH" and adds a character for "A".
Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com