b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] What piel stands for

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>, "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] What piel stands for
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:36:29 +0300

In my opinion, there is no ambiguity whatsoever. Just think how piel
appeared. For millennia it was indistinguishable from paal. Who would use
indistinguishable grammatical form? I think, piel is the same old paal, but
pronounced forcefully to reflect the intense meaning.
This forceful pronunciation of paal created piel:

cathAv - cathAav (intonational accent) - caththAav - c'ththEv (I'm not sure
of English analogy, but this phonology is widespread in Russian: verb "go"
poshiol becomes p'shshiool in command) - c(i)tev

In other words, piel is not a real form, but command pronunciation of paal.

Vadim Cherny

> As for recognizing the difference between a Qal and Piel, I have yet to
see a well defined way that all can agree to to recognize it from the
context. It seems that even the top scholars disagree on what a Piel stands
for.