b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why Semitic languages had no written vowels?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <VadimCherny AT mail.ru>
  • To: "Kevin Riley" <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why Semitic languages had no written vowels?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:38:17 +0300

Vowel variation between languages cannot plausibly explain absence of
written vowels. By this token, definite article should be omitted, too,
since it is different in Hebrew and Aramaic.

Modern languages generally omit the vowels (usually only allophones)
non-essential semantically.
Few people comfortably read shorthand writing, and those people have highly
developed reading abilities. This was not the case with ancients. The better
analogy for them is students - for whom even Hebrew books add vowels.

A major reason for vowelless shorthand writing in modern languages is great
suprasufficiency of consonants. You wouldn't mistake a root dffclt, though
still open to various readings. But Semitic short roots are less comfotrable
vowelless.

While we cannot definitely rule out or prove some explanation, we can
consider it plausible or not. Shorthand writing is quite implausible. It is
more advanced stage of writing, not suitable for primitive people.

Vadim Cherny