b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why Semitic languages had no written vowels?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: kwrandolph AT email.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why Semitic languages had no written vowels?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:48:05 -0400

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:20:35 -0500 "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
writes:

> [...]

Karl,

For once I almost agree with you. There is a method known as
speed-writing in which the vowels are dropped in order to facilitate such
activities as note-taking. Out of context many of these "words" would be
unintelligible since they could possibly be one of a large number of
words. In context, however, the meaning is generally clear. English, in
particular however, is highly dependent upon vowels. 's' could be 'is'
or 'so' or 'say.' 'I' is nothing but a vowel. Therefore, I would give
your statement a "qualified" approval.

george
gfsomsel