b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, tlt AT teol.ku.dk
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:24:12 -0700 (PDT)

Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:
Uri wrote:

>the Mishnah, when quoting biblical texts, is practically using the MT

I understand him to be claiming that there are very few differences
between the MT and the consonantal text used by the authors of the
Mishnah. I presume that he is not making a claim that the Mishnah
reflects the MT vocalisation.

Absolutely. Other than some cuniform and DSS evidence about PNs, some
el-Amarna and comparative material from proto=Semitic, all important in
themselves, the original pronounciations are uncertain. I use the plural,
because it stands to reason that over a period of a thousand years or more,
and under the influence of various languages ,ranging from Aramaic to Greek,
pronounciation changed. And that is apart from dialectical variations such
as south-north.

Uri

Make Yahoo! your home page
From: "Steve Miller" <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>
To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "virgin" vs. "young woman"in Isaiah 7:14
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:10:09 -0400

>(LMH (also (LM in 1 Samuel 17, 20) when referring to a person indicates
that the person is unknown. The >root (LM has the meaning of being unknown,
in hiphil the causitive meaning, i.e. to hide.

Karl,
besides meaning "unknown", could (LMH / (LM also mean "unknowing" hence
"innocent." In 1 Sam 17:56 no one present knows who David, the (LM is. In 1
Sam 20:22 the (LM is totally innocent of the the communication going on
between Jonathan and David.

>(I think the term's use in Proverbs 30:10 refers to "the unknown", not a
person. The only arguments presented >that I have seen that it refers to a
person are not linguistic, but tradition. Hence I find them unconvincing.)

What is wrong with understanding the (LMH in Prov 30:19 the same as the
other 6 places it is used in the Tanach? as an undefiled innocent young
woman? The tender relationship of a man with an innocent young woman is a
wonderful mystery of the human life - it can only be understood by the heart
and not the mind. It is also a symbol the mystery between God and His
people.

thanks,
-Steve Miller
Detroit