b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ingrid Hjelm" <ingrid_hjelm AT hotmail.com>
  • To: uhurwitz AT yahoo.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, tlt AT teol.ku.dk
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:14:03 +0200

Dear Uri
Uri wrote>The Former Profets in some
forms date to the centuries before the common era as we know from Dead Sea
Scrolls, the Greek and Latin evidence, Josephus and rabbinic sources"...
Excuse me, but this is not clear. Could you explain what you mean?>>>> very simple that are the sources we have in ancient scrolls and CE books, a few of which might date to the third century, but most dates from the 2nd-1st century BCE and onwards.

Uri wrote>As for the first, the good people who judge it to be mediaeval forget that the Mishnah, when quoting biblical texts, is practically using the MT>>>> unless you will date the Mishnah after the 6th century CE, from which time the masoretes began their work, and here we have to remember that there is not a masoretic text but masoretic texts (Tov 1992:22; Hjelm SJOT 18/1 [2004], p.112-113), you cannot speak of the Misnahusing the MT, which did not exist in the 2nd century CE. At that time you have pre-masoretic texts and the differerence involves more than vocalisation -non-vocalisation. What manusscript of the Mishnah is your edition based on?. Ingrid
Ingrid Hjelm <ingrid_hjelm AT hotmail.com> wrote, inter alia:
...." The Former Profets in some
forms date to the centuries before the common era as we know from Dead Sea
Scrolls, the Greek and Latin evidence, Josephus and rabbinic sources"...

Excuse me, but this is not clear. Could you explain what you mean?

(you did make clear that this doesn't refer to the MT -- a different matter, which in itself can be divided into consonantal text and vocalization. As for the first, the good people who judge it to be mediaeval forget that the Mishnah, when quoting biblical texts, is practically using the MT).

Finally, wishing you a full and speedy recovery,

Uri