b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "virgin" vs. "young woman"in Isaiah 7:14

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "virgin" vs. "young woman"in Isaiah 7:14
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 12:55:18 -0500

Søren:

(LMH (also (LM in 1 Samuel 17, 20) when referring to a person indicates that
the person is unknown. The root (LM has the meaning of being unknown, in
hiphil the causitive meaning, i.e. to hide.

When taken in the context of Genesis 4:1 (in American English that same
wording was still used when I was young), the “unknown one” is by necessity a
virgin, making (LMH the technical term for “virgin”. Either that, or the term
refers to a stranger.

(I think the term’s use in Proverbs 30:10 refers to “the unknown”, not a
person. The only arguments presented that I have seen that it refers to a
person are not linguistic, but tradition. Hence I find them unconvincing.)

If the present copies of the LXX are accurate copies of the original, then
the LXX translated Isaiah 7:14 as “virgin”, i.e. before the NT interpretation.

I am not going to argue the theological implications of this verse (e.g. some
say that the virgin to whom Isaiah referred, was one standing near to Isaiah
at the time he made the statement, with no expectation that she remained a
virgin until after the birth of the child), but as a linguist, I see no good
argument that (LMH was not the technical term for “virgin”, more so than
BTWLH.

Karl W. Randolph.