b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:26:55 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thomas L. Thompson
Date: Apr 14, 2005 11:21 AM
Subject: SV: [b-hebrew] Samaritan script/proto-hebrew

I can only agree with Yitzak's clear summation of the problem and I think
that the reference to Na'aman's lecture at the Jerusalem conference is well
taken.
Thomas

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
First, it seems you confuse Former Prophets (Neviim Rishonim) with
Later Prophets (Neviim Ahronim). The Former are Joshua, Judges,
Samuel, and Kings. The Latter consist of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel,
and the Minor Prophets (Trei Asar). Thus, "Former Prophets" is a
more neutral term for someone who doesn't accept that Joshua
through Kings was a consistent account of history written by a 7th
century "Deuteronomistic School."

Second, while I believe that some of these books date very early
and some are based on authentic sources from early times (see,
for example, "Sources and Composition in the History of David,"
in *The Origins of the Ancient Israelite States*, ed. V. Fritz and P.R.
Davies, Sheffield 1996, pp. 170-186, where Nadav Naaman argues that
elements in the book of Kings are based on a concise historical
account from the 9th century BCE), this type of argumentation is
much less decisive than the 2nd century BCE and onwards where
we have evidence that these books existed in much the same form
as we have them today. The thing is, we don't know what sources
were available prior to this time. Any argument based on events
depicted in the books prior to this time must be considered
circumstantial.

Yitzhak Sapir