b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:25:17 +0100

On 05/04/2005 00:53, George F Somsel wrote:

... Those who reject this possibility do so only
because they reject the possibility of predictive prophecy from an a
priori philosophical position.

Peter,

That is a patent falsehood. I would say that the Isaianic prophecy of Is
7 is predictive and the *young woman* not virginal. I would also assert
that the concept of Josiah's being **named** long before his birth is
nonsense and inserted ex eventu.

George, I should have qualified my statement a bit more, as follows: "Many of those who reject this possibility do so only because they reject the possibility of predictive prophecy... Others do so because they follow the interpretations of the former group without adequately examining their basis."

It seems that your a priori position is "Prophecy does not name specific names -- that is its nature." And this position does not have the benefit of the philosophical coherence of the position that predictive prophecy is impossible. You seem to believe that it is possible but only if it is very vague. Do you see prophecy as akin to weather forecasting, seeing the direction in which things are going and making judgments, or guesses (e.g. that the child in Isaiah 7 would be a boy rather than a girl), about the future? If so, I would say that you are in fact rejecting genuine predictive prophecy, which is a revelation from God rather than a human prediction based on current circumstances. Or do you agree with me and Karl that God can and did reveal to the prophets specific facts about the future? In that case, why are the specific facts necessarily vague?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)